Sunday, May 6, 2012

The glass is half empty, thank goodness!



Why can't we call a glass half full and half empty?

Why do we buy into the notion that we can see the proverbial glass only one way—either half full or half empty? Why can’t it be both? I reject the notion that our view of the glass automatically relegates us to the ranks of either optimists or pessimists.

I’ve been slacking a little in my blogging, and I don’t have a terrific excuse except that I’ve been doing quite a bit of thinking about my life. Looking back on my almost-five decades, I’ve done a lot of really good living. By almost any standard, my life has been rich and full. Now, as I’m closing in on 50, some might say I’m only halfway through my mortal journey. If that’s so, then I’ve still got plenty of undetermined, unchartered, unlived years ahead of me. In other words, my glass is only half full; the other half is half empty, thank goodness! 

My life still holds possibilities, and I still have a long bucket list: Snorkeling in Hawaii. Touring Italy. Hiking the Canadian West Coast Trail. Cruising the Mediterranean. Visiting the Holy Land. Enjoying my grandchildren. Making new friends. Laughing with old friends. Serving a mission with my husband. Maybe even going back to school.

Of course, we never know just how much life lies ahead, but I’m satisfied with how I’ve filled my “glass” so far, and I’m optimistic about filling the empty years. 

3 comments:

  1. Is it that the cup is half full/half empty or is it that the cup gets taller/shorter?

    Nice one eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote, "Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, The Opportunist"

    Always makes me laugh.

    I love your attitude. There is a lot left for us to do on this earth. We better get crackin'!!

    ReplyDelete