Friday, March 6, 2009

A pound of flesh



Athelia Sears Tanner, my mom


This week was Barbie's 50th birthday. My friend, who also turned 50, received a Barbie doll as a birthday gift. Barbie looked the same as always--leggy and buxom, blonde and tan. And she still looks great in a bikini. Barbie hasn't changed, but the rest of us have. I daresay we've been through much more than Barbie, though. I never heard tell of her getting pregnant or giving birth.

In my effort to maintain some of the shape and size of my younger years, I have a personal trainer. I know, I know. It sounds so hoity-toity. The fact is, when I joined a gym a couple of months ago, the going membership rate included four sessions with a personal trainer. So, I guess for a couple of months I can say I have a personal trainer, but, unfortunately, so far I haven't lost one pound. Not one. In fact, I've actually gained a couple of pounds, and I'm a little frustrated. Somedays, when I hop off the scale, I'd like to exact "a pound of flesh" from my personal trainer in exchange for the extra pounds of flesh I'm gaining.

I grew up with seven brothers and I live with four men, so I know if I were a man, I would be elated with my extra heft. In fact, if I were a man, my male bravado would be in full swing. I would be bragging about my weight gain and flexing my muscles at every opportunity. But I'm not a man. I'm a woman who has been socialized to think of my body in terms of weight and size. So, I've been a little embarrassed to admit that with all this exercise I am actually gaining rather than losing weight, and my pants fit the same as always have.

However, today I made a mental paradigm shift. Instead of weight and size, I'm going to focus on health and strength--features that will always improve my quality of life. 

I know this is true because my mother is 88 years old and going strong. Every day she walks, stretches, and does leg lifts. She's no Barbie doll, but she's the envy of her peers because she's healthy and strong. What more could a woman want? A Barbie doll?

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually read blogs, but I've noticed your facebook posts lately and it had me interested. When I do check out a blog I always like to read the very first blog posted.

    I must say, your time in the gym has paid off. You always look great, but just last week I was thinking you looked amazing! It made me very excited to return to my own regualar exercise routine (only a few more weeks to go). I love watching you zip around the gym with what must be that "Tanner Zest!" I don't think its normal to be that awake, happy, and energetic at 6am, but I love it. Way to go!
    Laura Kohn

    ReplyDelete