Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Remembering the elderly and being a grandma


Good grandmas come in all kinds of packages


My good friend of 20 years or more moved away and is now living in an old folks’ home halfway across the country. I miss her very much and told her so at Christmastime in a Facebook message, even though accessing such technology is challenging for her. Yesterday she sent me a letter in the mail—yes, the kind that comes with a stamp and a handwritten signature. I cried when I read her words, “For sure I didn’t intend to live this long. It takes lots of effort to fight depression, but I’m doing just fine.” Evidently, her children and grandchildren visit when they can, but, as she says, “Everyone is busy.”

She makes great efforts to stay involved by going to church, but people live “far and wide” and scoot home right after the services, making it hard to make friends. A retired school teacher in her eighties, she still manages to volunteer at a local school and to read voraciously, but stimulating conversation is still hard to come by.

It's so easy to forget or sideline the elderly. When we do, they suffer and we all pay a price. We miss their wisdom and their warmth, and they miss our hugs and our happenings. 

I used to envy people a little when they spoke of visiting grandparents. It seemed those grandparents, who spoiled them in one way or another, had boundless love that always erred on the side of softness. What a boon for a child to have such a refuge in a world otherwise full of demands, drudgery, and danger! Such a haven was not my blessing because most of my grandparents were deceased before I was born or when I was very young. 

Yet, something in me must have craved that kind of connection because once in high school and again in college I “adopted” a grandma. In rest homes, I sought out Lexie Peterson and later Mama Chris, both sweet, tender women who, after decades of living, chose to see and speak of only the good things in life.

The only grandma I knew wasn’t exactly the warm, cookie-jar type. My father’s mother came to live with us when she was mostly homebound. She was as frank as the day is long, and loud, too. To visit her, we’d simply go upstairs to her room where if we begged, she would bust out her harmonica and play “The Bear Went Over the Mountain” while we raced around and around her bed. Occasionally she would belt out the words to what she once sang (mostly shouted) as a lullaby: “Oh, you take the hatchet, and I’ll take the saw, and we’ll saw off the leg of my mother-in-law!” Not exactly soothing music for a child, but entertaining and very funny. Grandma loved anything sweet and would hide cookies and candy in her apron, and she had no aptitude for sewing, although she spent hours darning socks no one would ever wear.


Grandma Tanner surrounded by 10 of her grandchildren

Most of my good friends are grandmothers now, and every single one of them seems to love that role. To them, every childhood foible is laughable; every errant deed is adorable. I admit to panicking slightly when I hear their talk of crocheting baby caps and making beautiful homemade quilts and blessing gowns. Those skills have never been my strength. So, knowing this will be my next stage in life, I find myself peppering these ladies with questions about how to be a good grandma. What do you like about being a grandma? What works? What are the pitfalls to avoid? Time and tenderness are always in order, they say, and, to no one’s surprise, gifts almost always go over well.

Above all, one friend warned me, “You’ve got to be sweet and kind, or else they won’t come to visit you.” Since sweetness has never been my strong suit, I guess I keep waiting for someone to advise me to feed them, read to them, and dance with them. I want to hear, “It’s really great to tickle them, tease them, and tell them things straight, and they’ll love you for it.”

In any case, I hope someday my future grandchildren will recognize—the way I did from being around my grandma—that grandma-love comes packaged in all kinds of ways. Above all, I just hope that, whatever kind of grandma I turn out to be, I will not be the forgotten kind.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Janet. I really loved it. We always adopted grandparents while growing up. My dad's dad passed away while my dad was on his mission. My dad's mom passed away when I was about 12, and since she lived in Utah and we lived in California, we didn't see her much. I have some memories of her, but not like the memories of my adopted grandparents. My parents moved up to the Bay Area shortly after my oldest sister was born and they immediately adopted grandparents (Joe and Lily Psuik) from their ward. They were everything a grandma and grandpa should be. We had sleep overs at their house, they kept us for long weekends when my parents went out of town. Grandma Psuik took us shopping every year when it was our birthday - she let us pick out anything we wanted. I think the key to being a wonderful grandparent is to listen. I think it is easier for kids to tell their grandparents things that they wouldn't tell their parents. Grandparents always seem to have the best advice too.

    Also, you have to have a trademark gift/candy that you always give out. Something that is rare. My Grandpa Psuik would always give 2 dollar bills to us at our birthdays - something that you don't see every day. Grandma always had this certain candy that she would give us at Christmas - that I rarely could find at regular grocery stores. Everytime I do find it, I think of her.

    Thanks again for this post. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing about what your adopted grandparents did to love you, to take you into their hearts and home. And what great tips, too (listening, special candy)! Maybe with such good advice there's hope for me being a good grandma after all. In the meantime, I think it's time for our family to adopt a new set of (local) grandparents. In general, I'd say the elderly really get shortchanged when it comes to our time and attention. We'd be hard-pressed to do TOO much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I had all four grandparents growing up and they were all very different. One grandmother was very loving and sweet and always made yummy food. The other was very cranky, but like yours, sang funny songs and played the piano while she shouted her songs. My grandfathers were the same (but married to the opposites). Spending time with us is all we wanted and cared about. I miss them all equally now.

    It is very hard for Frank and I that we don't have any family around and our kids don't have grandparents. It breaks both of our hearts, that we both grew up with lots of family around and our kids don't have that. We have adopted the neighbors next door as their grandparents though. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were so fortunate to have four living grandparents while you were growing up. I love your comment, "Spending time with us is all we wanted and cared about" because I think grandparents feel the same way: they just want the people they love to spend time with them. You're smart to adopt your next-door neighbors. Wouldn't it be great if we could all have grandparents that close?

    ReplyDelete