Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween party pooper


My last-minute nerd costume


Some things about Halloween I love. Having candy galore is always fun, and caramel apples are delicious. The costume thing, though, has never been my favorite part of the holiday.

Some people can’t wait to dress up. In fact, I have friends who plan their Halloween costumes literally weeks in advance. This enthusiasm always surprises me since the costume tradition in my family of origin differed so widely. Right before going out to trick-or-treat, we'd race up to the attic, rummage through an old trunk overflowing with random costume pieces, grab something that fit, and dash out the door with our friends to get a haul. In my mind, a costume was just a means to an end.

Maybe a couple good things came from dressing up. For one, wearing certain costumes helped me identify my own style. For instance, I recall feeling quite comfortable in a sailor costume I once wore, and to this day I still like the nautical look. Also, as a tomboy, it was nice to wear boys’ clothes without apology.

I'm sure part of my aversion to wearing costumes stems from my not having idols or heroes. Even still, as an adult, I feel slightly guilty every Halloween for not showing a little more spirit by sporting a costume. Sure, when I’m in charge of a Halloween activity I force myself to put on some sort of costume, but it’s almost always something that keeps in line with my last-minute tradition. It’s not that I don’t appreciate a well-thought-out or creative costume; it’s just that I don't have much of an alter ego.

Call me a party pooper, but the truth is I just like being myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment