Saturday, October 27, 2012

Just 3 must-haves for the car


Every good driver carries tricks in the car


Water doesn’t count. Everyone knows that almost as important as keeping enough gas in the tank is carrying water in the car at all times. But beyond that, we all have things we can’t live without when we drive. Even though I’m down to just one child, I’m still driving a minivan, and the two of us have become quite attached; in fact, it has become a sort of home on wheels. So, over time I’ve personalized what I keep inside. I can get along without some things, but others are must-haves for the car. Here are just three:
  1. Tissue: Boring, I know, but essential. When I had lots of younger passengers, baby wipes often doubled for tissue, but nowadays I’m a little out of the habit of having those around. Instead, I keep a box of Kleenex in my glove compartment and find it’s one of the first and last things I reach for when I drive. From wiping a runny nose to wiping up a mess, I just have to have a tissue handy.
  2. Food: A no-brainer, right? Any time of day or night seems to demand having food on hand. Fortunately, my van has a nifty little drawer under the passenger seat where I stash granola bars, nuts, and other foods that can last in there for months. These snacks have saved the day many a time when my kids have forgotten their lunch or have just been tired and cranky after school. They’ve also given me a boost when I’ve been out doing errands and couldn’t get back home to satisfy my hunger. It must be the mom in me, but I love to share my goodies with anyone hungry, including the homeless on street corners with signs reading, “Need food.” But my favorite things to share with these people, especially in the winter, are packets of hot chocolate and instant oatmeal I also keep on hand. I like to think, if they can just get a cup of hot water somewhere, they’re getting a hot meal.
  3. Goodreads: I actually get a little panicky if I don’t have something to read in my car, so I tend to tuck magazines in the seatback pockets and put at least one book within arm’s reach. Of course, with a smartphone now, I don’t have to worry quite as much about being stranded without reading material, but I just never know when I might have a few extra minutes to read while waiting to pick up kids or . . . stopping at a red light. (That’s right. I confess to being a stoplight reader. But I’m not the worst! I have a friend who actually read a novel while driving from L.A. to the Bay Area!) Much to the chagrin of other drivers, I admit to reading many times at stoplights. I passed this habit along to Grant who, when only a preschooler, would beg me to read “just one page” at a traffic light and who now rarely leaves the house without his own good read in hand.
Others in the family would insist on their own must-haves for the car. Ken would probably add hand sanitizer, KaRynn – music, Craig – chewing gum, and Mark – movies. I’m not sure about Bryan, but it might be jumper cables. What things do you have to have in your car?

1 comment:

  1. My #1 on the list: a VISA. It has even replaced the need for parking quarters as SF now lets us swipe a card. Of course I always have a little cash hidden away as well. You just never know when the need for something delectable in conection with your #2 on the list will arise.

    ReplyDelete